Fullers Earth Works in Redhill, Surrey

HISTORY: On the Redhill deposit, the most successful quarry operating at the turn of the century was the Copyhold Works of Fuller’s earth Union Ltd, established c. 1860-70. Initially supplying the woollen trade, demand later shifted to the growing chemical and commodity sector. In 1954 the works, by now employing close to 800 men, were bought by chemical company Laporte Industries. Production was stepped up to meet increasing demand and a large factory consisting of kilns, granulators, silos and transit systems on several floors was built. The Copyhold site was…

Read More