In 1881 the second station at Polegate was opened in connection with the construction of a new westward facing line to Hailsham and the 1880 extension of the Cuckoo Line to Eridge, and the re-aligned branchline to Eastbourne which the present line follows today.
The second station had four through platforms. The East Coastway line through Polegate was electrified in 1935 bringing in faster more frequent services. In 1965 the Cuckoo line north of Hailsham was closed followed i…n 1968 by complete closure of the branch to Hailsham. On 6 January 1969 the spur line to Pevensey (Stone Cross Junction) was closed and the up line was lifted, leaving the down line open for departmental trains until 1974 when the line became a mile long engineers siding with access only from Stone Cross Junction, this was then lifted in August 1984. and once extensive goods sidings were gradually closed and removed.
Station platforms of the second station in March 1986
The station closed in 1986 when a newer station opened 440 yards west, although caused controversy when the subway under the station connecting the platforms was also closed as it offered a short cut for non rail travellers to cross from one side of the town to the other without walking towards the high street and using the level crossing. The level crossing Is the only means from crossing from one side of the town to the other.
The closed lines to Hailsham and Pevensey are still evident, the Hailsham branch now being a cycle path, the cuckoo trail, through to Heathfield. The trackbed to Pevensey is mostly intact with the A22 road cutting though the route. The second station was a Restaurant, called The Old Polegate station, the restaurant area is upstairs above the original booking hall. The west bound platform is still in existence although cut back for passing trains.
The Restaurant ceased trading as of May 2016 and work has begun to demolish it and replace with flats and a Co-Operative Store.